Madison Michelle

Madison Michelle

August 6, 2016

From coast to coast


Our 35 hour journey began on Monday, May 29th. The car and u-haul trailer were all packed and ready to go. We said our very emotional (well at least for me anyway) goodbyes and we were off! Our first day we drove to Albuquerque, New Mexico. There was nothing too exciting to see on this leg of the drive, The highlight of this day was that we did stop at the last In-N-Out we could find for lunch. Brayden knew saying goodbye to this place was going to be difficult for me, so he looked up one that we could eat our final farewell. When we got to our hotel, we were both tired, so we thought it would be perfect to go to the hot tub! Unfortunately, the hot tub was freezing, so we decided to just sleep. But what I realized the first night was that I would not get much sleep the next few days. I was so worried about basically our whole life packed into the trailer and my car. I thought someone was going to break in. I knew that Brayden needed to get rest though, because let's be honest, I barely drove... So I made sure that we parked right where I could see it from the window and about every 30 minutes I got out of bed and checked. I am a worrier, I blame that on my mom's Monahan genes.






The next day we woke up early and headed to Fort Smith, Arkansas. This day I "finally contributed" to driving. I drove from Tucumcari, New Mexico to Amarillo, Texas which is only about 2 hours. Everything was fine and dandy until cars began to surround me on the road. It was the worst, I had a little freak out in Amarillo because there were more than 2 cars on the road. So we got off the road as soon as we could! After that Brayden drove the rest of the way to Fort Smith that day. This leg of the trip was the only time we actually did any sight seeing. We stopped in Oklahoma City to visit the Oklahoma City Federal Building Bombing Memorial. We only had a few minutes to walk around, but it was still worth it! It was great to be able to experience a little piece of American history. Since we were already stopped in Oklahoma City we made a little pit stop at the Chesapeake Energy Arena. This is where Brayden's favorite NBA team plays, so we had to make a little time for it! It was fun to be able to break up the drive with a few little pit stops.





The next morning was the same routine...we woke up early and got back on the road and headed towards Atlanta, Georgia. Again I helped out a little bit with the driving, but really I only drove another 2 hours. So my total for all the driving was only about 4 hours... But even when I was driving Brayden didn't rest or sleep at all because he was focused on the road and making sure I didn't crash.


The next morning we finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel. By the end of this day, we would finally hit our destination, Charleston! This 5 hour drive was not bad, considering the 12 hour days we were used to the previous days.


No comments:

Post a Comment