Madison Michelle

Madison Michelle

November 10, 2014

Interlaken & Gimmewald Switzerland

Switzerland was unreal. The ride to Switzerland was nine hours, but it didn't seem too bad when you are driving through the Swiss Alps. Interlaken was our first stop. Even though we were only in Interlaken for a total of 24 hours, we made every minute worth it. When we first got to our hostel, we had to book it over to a grocery store because it was going to close in ten minutes and we needed to buy food for dinner. Restaurants or any type of food places do not really stay open past 5:00 in Interlaken, which was a big culture shock for us. After we got all of the essentials at the grocery store, a few of us decided to go for a run around the city. It was gorgeous. I love to run. We were able to explore the city in a different way than you normally do. It was an adventure and I loved it.

The next morning, I did something I never imagined in a million years I would do. I went paragliding over the Swiss Alps! It was a spur of the moment decision. I had no time at all to think it through because if I did not sign up right then, all of the spots would have been filled. That is probably a good thing though, because then I didn't have time to psych myself out or worse call my mom and have her talk me out of it..  I even contemplated not telling her until after cause I knew she would be nervous, she worries about everything...it is kind of a Monahan thing. It was probably one of THE BEST experiences of my life. At first it was a little odd, basically we got up to the top of the mountains and my instructor set his parachute up and then threw a backpack on me and said start running. At this moment I was like...uhh...wait you have no instruction for me but to just run. So I went with it. But honestly once I was in the air my experience was amazing. It is so calming and peaceful. You honestly feel like the whole world is on pause and you can just enjoy and take in all the beauty. 

Once we got back from paragliding we had to hustle and gather up all of our stuff to go to Gimmewald. Gimmewald is this little town high up in the Swiss Alps. So we had to pack a little day pack and hike up to it. It was a steep climb and everyone was able to go at their own pace. Even though it was a little more tretcherous than expected the view once we got there was the perfect reward. Once we got to our hostel we all decided to hike further to this gorgeous waterfall. I do not think I have every walked so much in one day in my life. We hiked for probably a good ten hours, but boy was it worth it! The beauty that is all around us is breathtaking. Ever since going on this study abroad I have felt a greater appreciation for all of the wonders around us. Nature is pretty neat. 











After conquering the Alps.

No comments:

Post a Comment